Archive for Uncategorized
It’s important to stay hydrated during the summer months. Here are some tips to ensure you’re drinking enough water.
To maintain a healthy fluid balance while in the dehydration zone, the following suggestions may help:
1. Keep a large water bottle handy to encourage you to drink water wherever and whenever.
2. Be sure to eat fruits and vegetables, which are great sources of water, daily not only to stay hydrated, but also to maintain optimal health.
3. Have a glass of water before each meal.
4. After each trip to the restroom, drink a glass of water to replenish your fluids.
5. Set reminders on your phone, watch, or e-mail to drink every hour.
6. Add a slice of lemon, lime, and/or mint to your water to give it some flavor without adding any extra calories.
Cooling centers are the best places to go for some relief from the sweltering heat.
(Cooling center information for Aiken, Columbia and Richmond Counties)
Richmond County Cooling Centers:
Carrie J. Mays Center -1014 11th Ave. – 706-821-2827…
Bernie Ward Center – 1941 Lumpkin Road. – 706-790-0588
Blythe Center – 3129 Georgia Highway 88, Blythe – 706-592-4988
Henry H. Brigham Center – 2463 Golden Camp Road. – 706-771-2654
May Park – 622 4th Street – 706-724-0504
McBean Center – 1155 Hephzibah/McBean Road, Hephzibah – 706-560-2628
Sand Hills Center – 2540 Wheeler Road. – 706-842-1912
W. T. Johnson Center -1606 Hunter St. – 706-821-2866
Warren Road Center – 300 Warren Road. – 706-860-2833
Diamond Lakes Regional Park- 4345 Windsor Spring Road- 706-771-2980
Columbia County Cooling Centers:
Bessie Thomas Community Center – 5913 Euchee Creek Dr. – 706-556-0807
Patriot’s Park – 5445 Columbia Rd. – 706-312-7410
Wesley United Methodist Church – 825 N. Belair Rd. – 706-869-0888
Eubank Blanchard Community Center – 6868 Cobbham Rd. – 706-868-3349
Laurel & Hardy Museum – 250 N. Louisville St. – 706-556-0043
Harlem Senior Center – 405 W. Church St. – 706-556-0043
Liberty Park Community Center – Newmantown Rd. – 706-863-4576
Aiken County cooling centers are below:
O’Dell Weeks Community Center (8 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
1700 Whiskey Rd., Aiken
Smith Hazel Recreation Center
8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (Monday- Friday)
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Saturday)
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Sunday)
400 Kershaw St., Aiken
Citizens Park #2 (Between field 6 &10)
8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (Monday- Thursday)
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Friday)
1060 Banks Mill Rd., Aiken
I’m extremely proud of this young lady right here, because I know how tough it been for her these past 4 years. Losing her mother, I can recall her saying that her mom wouldn’t get a chance to see her graduate but I know with all my being I know she been watching over her and will be so proud of the things she has accomplished. Graduating with a 3.5GPA , honor students, AP graduate number 7 in the class, captain cheerleader squad many other awards ,she has gotten accepted int…o GA STATE UNIVERSITY for this Fall. I KNOW SHE NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT WITHOUT GOD STRENGTH BECAUSE WITH HIM ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR ALL THE WELL WISHES AND PRAYERS. TYMESHA R HANKERSON THE BABY OF THE BUNCH YOUR DAD LOVES AND PROUD OF YOU. SHE WILL WALKING ACROSS THE STAGE TOMORROW AT 9am GRADUATING FROM LUCY CRAFT LANEY HIGH SCHOOL YOU ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND.
Clear Channel Communications teams up with Garden City Jazz to present its annual Labor Day Weekend music celebration in beautiful downtown Augusta. Bring seating and picnic. No pets, please.
- Augusta Christian School will be closed Wednesday. Augusta Christian School’s Pastor Breakfast, which was initially scheduled for Thursday, February 13th will now be held Thursday, February 20th.
- Augusta Preparatory Day School will be closed on Wednesday. Winter break is scheduled Thursday through Monday. Students will return to class on Tuesday.
- Augusta Seventh Day Adventist School will be closed on Wednesday.
- Augusta Technical College is closing all campuses at 5:00 p.m. Tuesday and canceling Tuesday evening classes. All campuses will be closed all day on Wednesday.
- Burke County Public Schools will be closed Wednesday.
- C.H. Terrell Academy and the James Brown Academy of Musik Pupils will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Columbia County schools will be closed Wednesday for all students and all faculty and staff members.
- Curtis Baptist Day Care & School will be closed Wednesday.
- Edmund Burke Academy, located in Waynesboro, will be closed Wednesday.
- Emanuel County Public Schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday due to the winter storm. All school activities scheduled for Wednesday have been canceled.
- Episcopal Day School (EDS) will be closed Wednesday.
- Glascock County schools will be closed Wednesday.
- Heritage Academy in Richmond County will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Hillcrest Baptist School will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Immaculate Conception Catholic School, in downtown Augusta, will be closed Wednesday.
- Jenkins County schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Johnson County Schools will be closed on Wednesday.
- Lincoln County schools will be closed Wednesday for students and all faculty and staff. All school system activities scheduled for Wednesday have been canceled.
- Miller-Motte Technical College is closed Wednesday.
- McDuffie County schools will be closed Wednesday for students staff and faculty.
- Richmond County schools and departments will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. A global connect telephone call will be made to parents regarding this school closure. School system employees will not report to work during the days school is not in session. All meetings and after-school activities scheduled for Tuesday have been canceled, including: Board Committee Meeting at 4:00 p.m., Town hall Meeting at 6:30 p.m. regarding rightsizing at Garrett Elementary School and Primetime. Also, the Region Tournament games at Butler High School scheduled at 4:00 p.m. will remain on schedule as planned.
- Screven County schools will be closed to students and staff on Wednesday.
- Thomas Jefferson Academy, in Louisville, will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Westminster Schools of Augusta will be closed Wednesday.
- Aiken-Barnwell Headstart will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Aiken County Public Schools students will be dismissed on their regular schedule Tuesday, but all after-school and evening events to include athletics, Adult Education classes, and the Board of Education meeting have been canceled. All schools will be closed on Wednesday. The closing will include all Adult Education classes and after-school activities.
- Allendale County schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Axis 1 Center of Barnwell will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Barnwell County schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. Students will return to school Friday, as this will now be a regular school day. (Friday was to be a teacher workday.)
- Briarwood Academy, located in Warrenton, will be closed Wednesday.
- Denmark Technical College will be closing early Tuesday. Students will be released at 1:00 p.m. and there will be no night classes Tuesday. All employees will be released at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday. The campus will be closed Wednesday, as well.
- Edgefield County schools will be closed Wednesday.
- Fox Creek High School will be closed Wednesday.
- Lloyd Kennedy Charter School and Aiken Performing Arts Academy in Aiken will be closed on Wednesday.
- McCormick County School District will dismiss at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, and will be canceled for Wednesday the 12th. All evening activities will be canceled.
- Midland Valley Preparatory School After-School Program is closed Tuesday afternoon.
- Midland Valley Preparatory School will be closed Wednesday.
- South Aiken Baptist Christian School and Daycare will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- USC-Aiken has cancelled all classes before noon for Wednesday. All classes after noon are still on.
- Walterboro and Allendale campuses of the University of South Carolina Salkehatchie’s Allendale and Walterboro campuses will be closed Wednesday. No classes will meet and all offices will be closed.
- Wardlaw Academy will be closed Wednesday.
GOVERNMENT CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- Fort Gordon will curtail operations for Wednesday. Only mission essential personnel and those directed by their supervisors will report for work.
- Richmond County Health Department will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Augusta-Richmond County offices (all locations) will be closed on Wednesday. Public safety employees and departments responsible for responding to the current emergency conditions should report per their usual schedule. A decision for Thursday operation will be decided on Wednesday afternoon. For future updates regarding this situation, employees please contact the Augusta Employee Notifications hotline which is (706) 842-3000. There will not be any transit services on Wednesday. Residential recyclables and trash collection for Richmond County customers will be suspended for Wednesday. In order to insure the safety of the drivers and that all customers are collected this week, Sanitation workers will operate on a modified schedule with Wednesday customers being collected on Thursday, Thursday customers collected on Friday, and Friday customers collected on Saturday. Collections will resume Thursday, weather permitting. Should Thursday collection be suspended, normal regular collection schedule will be resumed on Friday. Any customers not collected on Wednesday and Thursday will be collected the following week, with extra trash collected on those days. The Augusta Landfill will also be closed on Wednesday. The Richmond County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will transition from monitoring activation to partial activation tonight at 7:00 p.m. Staff will be contacted to report. All non-emergency travel is strongly discouraged. Citizens are strongly encouraged to remain at home until conditions improve. For questions, please call 706-821-1155.
- North Augusta Municipal Court has been canceled for Wednesday. Those scheduled to appear Wednesday will be notified of the new court date.
- Social Security Administration offices in Aiken and Augusta will be closed on Wednesday.
BUSINESS CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- Georgia Bank and Trust will be closed Wednesday and open on Thursday 12-4pm.
- GIW Industries Offices and Plant Operations in Grovetown and Thomson will be closed Wednesday through Noon on Thursday. Employees should utilize company information hotlines as directed for updates.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation’s Beech Island Mill will be closed back shift Tuesday and both shifts on Wednesday.
- Southern Bank and Trust will be closed Wednesday and open on Thursday 12-4pm.
- West Fraser Augusta Lumber Mill days shift will be canceled on Wednesday 02/12/14. All West Fraser employees will be notified by their supervisors about further schedule on Wednesday 02/12/14 at noon.
DAYCARE CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- A Child’s World (all 5 locations) will be closed Wednesday.
COMMUNITY CENTER CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- Family Y locations will be closed on Wednesday and will re-open Thursday at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday night’s Team Lean health presentation at Warren Baptist Church will be held as scheduled. Thursday’s presentation at the Downtown Augusta, Aiken, Wrens, and Thomson Family Y locations will be held as scheduled. This week’s Team Lean weigh-ins will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday and will continue through closing on Friday. Prime Time After-school sites in Richmond County, Aiken County, and McDuffie County will be closed on Wednesday and will follow the County school schedule for Thursday. The Child Development Center will be closed on Wednesday and re-open at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, except for Pre-K classes, which will resume on Friday.
- Kroc Center, in Augusta, will maintain normal hours for Tuesday schedule. Upward leagues and volleyball leagues will carry on as usual Tuesday night. All facilities will be closed Wednesday. The facility will open Thursday at 7:00 a.m. and all other facilities will have normal hours.
CHURCH CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- First Baptist Church of North Augusta offices will be closed and all Wednesday activities are canceled.
- First Baptist Church of Keysville Inc. will be cancelling all services, meetings, and rehearsals for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- Second Providence Baptist Church in North Augusta will be closed on Wednesday.
- Sharon Baptist Church of Augusta’s Wednesday evening service is canceled.
DOCTOR’S OFFICE/MEDICAL FACILITY CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
- Center for Primary Care (all locations) will be closed Wednesday.
- Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center (all outpatient clinics to include clinics in Athens, Aiken and Statesboro) will be closed all day Wednesday through noon Thursday.
- Sycamore Health Care will be closed Wednesday.